Wednesday, April 27, 2016

First things first: LSAC/CAS and Registering for the LSAT


So I finally made my dream to go to law school my goal at the end of my internship. After discussing things over with my professor, I learned that my next step was to take the Law School Admissions Test or the LSAT. Even the name intimidated me at first... but after my experience I can promise you that you can manage this exam! For this post I'm just going to focus on how you even sign up for an LSAT exam; keep in mind there will be more post about the actual exam later

LSAC stands for Law School Admissions Council and by creating an account you get access to a bunch of great tools that help with many different parts of the Pre-law school process. I will go into more detail about this a little bit but for now let's focus on creating an LSAC account. This allows you to, first, sign up for the LSAT exam online. It's really simple. Go to the LSAC Home Page and click on the link that says "Create an account" from here select "Future JD Student" then go ahead and hit the arrow. You'll come to a page with a sign in section on the right or register section on the left, click "Sign Up Now". (Sign Up Direct Link) Fill out all the Required information. Then voila! You're ready to go on to the next part.

So like I said, LSAC allows you to sign up for the LSAT exam which currently costs $175. Be sure to read up on test center changes, date changes and cancellation fees/procedures. In order to do that from the home page go to the navigation bar at the top and hover over the LSAT tab. From here a drop box will release, click on "Register for the LSAT". Like I said before, pick a date that will give you enough time to study! I would say a minimum of 2 months of study is needed to prepare for the exam. It really depends on how much time you can give to preparing. 

Side Note: For those who are entirely "fresh" to the LSAT, I highly suggest checking out the "About the LSAT" page - About The LSAT - and the corresponding links on the left hand side before you register. This page gives a ton of helpful information regarding not only the exam, fees and the LSAT score. Another page I highly suggest checking out the following links which provide a TON of info on the law school process. 


After you click on the link to Register, just follow the steps. One thing you will be asked to do is pay the fee for CAS – Credential Assembly Service. This is not a mandatory thing. But while the fee for this service is a little step, currently $170, I highly suggest purchasing this. In short, CAS allows you to upload parts of the application, like transcripts and recommendation letters, only one time. From there you can assign these documents to all the schools you will be applying to. LSAC will then forward on those documents when it comes time to submit your applications. CAS takes away have to contact your schools and individually sending the transcripts and recommendation letters for every single one of your applications. For more information about CAS and the Fees, use this link: Applying To School - CAS 

I hope this was all useful information and hopefully it was not confusing. If you get the chance be sure to check out my All Things LSAT page for upcoming test dates, prep options && more! Please feel free to contact me if you have any additional questions or comments; I'll help in any way that I can!
Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment