Monday, May 23, 2016

The LSAT Roller Coaster: My first LSAT Exam



So now that I've explained the basics of the LSAT, let me give you the low down on how my LSAT experience was: CHAOTIC, MESSY, STRESSFUL. But this doesn't mean that your experience will be the same as mine, everyone's experience is different.

My experience with the LSAT was a direct result of my approach to the LSAT. Let me start by saying I actually took the LSAT twice. I was completely unsatisfied with my first LSAT and I knew that I could do better. There was a major difference in the way that I approached the second exam compared to the first. But for now I will share my first round with the LSAT.

Side note: ITS OKAY TO TAKE THE EXAM TWICE. Not everyone does their best the first time around, and schools recognize this. My only suggestions are these:
- Don't rely on taking it more than once.
Motivate yourself to do the best you can possibly do the first time around. 
- Only take it twice if you absolutely need to. 
If you do great on the first exam there's no need for a second. 
- Don't take it more than twice
the chances of you doing significantly better after the second exam lowers. 

The first graded LSAT that I ever took, I was prepared but completely unprepared. How does that even work? Well, my first step in preparing for the LSAT was the right one for me; I signed up for  a Kaplan Course. There are many options to choose from, Kaplan LSAT Test- Prep Options , I decided that the Self-Paced Option was the right one for me. My first mistake in preparing for the LSAT was signing up for the self paced online prep course. 

Side Note: There's are couple points I want to make: You don't have to sign up for the Kaplan prep courses, there are tons out there that are just as good! I chose Kaplan because it was recommended to me by several professors at my undergrad. Secondly, YOU DON'T HAVE TO SIGN UP FOR A PREP COURSE AT ALL. If you feel that you can prepare on your own, then by all means save yourself the money and do it. I signed up because I had no idea what I was doing and needed the help/ guidance. If you are interested check out my page LSAT Info for some great prep options.

The Self Paced Kaplan Course
First off let me say that Kaplan does an amazing job preparing its students for the LSAT exam. They provide you with all the materials you need, and so much more. The self paced course is wonderful in the sense that YOU create your study/ learning schedule in the comfort of your own home (or anywhere really) versus having set days and a set location. Once you sign up, (These courses are not free, and while they can cost a pretty penny, they have great deals all the time! ) Kaplan will send you all the hard copy materials needed and you'll instantly gain access to the online library. From there you just follow the study template they provide. The beauty of it is that you can alter it to fit your schedule/ needs. Be prepared though, the videos that you watch to learn the material are 3-4 hours long and after that you should be spending a minimum of 1.5 - 2 hours each day practicing what you learn. By no means is studying for this exam a walk in the park. Its a full time job, and I can tell you from experience that if you don't keep up with it, or stick to it, its extremely easy to fall behind.

Side Note: My low score had absolutely nothing to do with the Kaplan course. It was a direct result of  my life getting in the way of taking my studying seriously. The self paced version was not the right fit for me, but if you are someone who is able to teach yourself with the tools provided then I HIGHLY recommend the Kaplan Self Paced Course. 

For me, what took priority over test prep was - LIFE. I started my exam prep in May, as instructed by a professor, and was planning to take the September exam before senior year got too messy. This allowed me 4 months to prepare. Shortly after coming home and starting my prep, a close family member became terminally ill and passed away. When this happened, I immediately pushed my studying to the back burner. Thankfully I still had time to study and allow myself to cope with the loss. Unfortunately when I got back on schedule with studying my senior year had begun. Between my class, work and volunteer schedule I found it to be extremely hard to find time to study and give it my all. I even dropped a class to make specific study time but it was still not enough. I ended up pushing my exam back to the December exam, but i to do so I had to pay a date change fee

With my new date in sight, I put my best foot forward and studied to the best of my ability. There were definitely times where I was so stressed out that I just broke down. The online course was just not the right fit for me. The material was hard to understand at times and I needed more help than I was expecting. I also couldn't sit in front of my laptop for 4 hours to just watch the seminars and then another 1-2 hours on top of the studying and doing all the required work. I needed to have separate spaces for learning and studying but also nothing else to focus on like school, work, etc. 

Test day quickly approached. Before I knew it, I was waiting in line to be checked into the exam. When I sat down to take my test, I felt a spew of emotions from anxiety to disappointment in myself for not studying more and balancing my school/work/volunteering life with my test prep life. My lack of focus and studying showed in my low score. But the positive that came out of it was motivation to do better and knowing that I COULD do better. The moment I received my score I decided that I was taking a year off after college to focus solely on the LSAT and better yet that I WAS going to law school in the following year.
Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment