Monday, June 13, 2016

Tick Tock Goes The Clock, The Admissions Waiting Game


My last post What in the Heck am I going to write about? discussed in great detail (my apologies for how long it is) the resume, supplemental statement and personal statement. I know I said it before, but I really cant tell you how important it is to edit ALLLLLLLLLLL documents, questionnaires, recommendation information, basically ANYTHING you are submitting in your application. Remember that whatever you are submitting is a representation of yourself, if its sloppy it just may make the school you are applying to think you could careless about this great opportunity. Take the time to take it seriously and make it show that you have taken the time to make sure it is error free. 

Another nice feature about LSAC is that you can preview your entire application before you actually submit it. I made SURE to preview it EVERY TIME I MADE AN EDIT. This way I could see the changes and make sure the changes were in fact correct.

The day finally came for me to submit my first round of applications..... I can't even describe all of the different emotions that I was feeling... Nervous was easily at the top of the list but so was anxious. I was hoping that all my hard work over the past year would pay off but then again I was nervous that it wouldn't be enough. Although at the end of the day, I was proud of how far I had come and I knew that no matter what it was all worth it. The tears, frustration, anxiety, all of it got me to this point of just pushing the "submit" button. There were many times that I doubted myself... I took a gap year with a plan to retake the LSAT, a plan to apply to school, and the final plan of going to law school in the fall. At this point, I could check off two major things on my goals list but from there I could only sit, wait and hope for the best. My part was done, the rest was up to the admissions council. 

 Here is how I rated my schools:

1. Dream School
2. Dream School
3. Dream School 
4. 1st Safety School
5. 2nd Safety School
6. 3rd Safety School
7. If this was the only school I got into, I was going.

The # 1 & 2 schools were tied in terms of if I got into both I didn't know what I was going to do because I loved them both equally, whereas if I got into one over the other, I would most definitely be beyond thrilled to attend either. The # 3 dream school was just a little bit under the # 1 & 2. If I didn't get into either of my top dream schools but I got into 3, I would be just as happy. The school had my program of interest and was in a great location. Its actually one of the schools I first came across where I found my area of interest. But my heart was pulling for either my #1 or 2. The rest were safety net schools just in case. 

So I pushed the button one by one and before I knew it all 7 of my first round apps were on their way through the admissions cycle. It had been one hell of a bumpy ride up to this point but I was so proud of myself for pushing through and really giving every portion my all. Now all I could do was wait... and wait.... and wait... Some schools gave me a 4 week window period, others gave a 6-8 weeks.. it was safe to say I would be checking my online status checker several times a day along with finding ways to unwind after these last few months whether it was: getting lost in books, binge watching  netflix, sippin on a glass of wine, walking with the pup, a night out with friends... whatever it is it's well deserved. 

Side Note: Make sure to take some time for yourself after you submit your applications. YOU NEED IT & YOU DESERVE IT. Regardless, you have put in so much time and effort into every required detail of the law school application whether its the LSAT, the Personal Statement, the Questionnaire, any and all of it... you need some time to unwind. So take some time to unwind and do the things you love, you'll regret it if you don't.  


So as you know, (that is if you actually read my about me page), I enjoy reading. If you're a reader like me, then check out these books. Some are fictional but deal with law in some way, shape or form.


Books I've Already Read:
Rogue Lawyer- John Grisham ( ABSOLUTELY LOVED THIS BOOK)
Defending Jacob - William Landy (Also really really loved this book)
To Kill A Mocking Bird - Harper Lee (read this back in high school and will be revisiting it this summer)
Gideon's Trumpet - Anthony Lewis (I read this for an English course in undergrad but would like to go back and re-read it. I don't think I valued it enough the first time around)

Books I Want to Read:
Eyes of  A Child - Richard North Patterson (ugly custody battle gone wrong)
Treason - Don Brown (Brown Navy justice through JAG)
A Man in Full - Tom Wolfe (deals with race, the law and much more)

If none of these capture your attention, check out this link, 50 Best Legal Novels, which lists many many more law related books! 

Well for now that is all. Be sure to check out previous posts dealing with the LSAT, LSAC, and so much more :)

Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment