Monday, September 25, 2017

D.C. -- I Never Want to Leave.


I’ve been MIA, but do you blame me? Spending a semester in a new place is overwhelming in so many good ways that having the chance to just sit down and blog about it has been at the bottom of my to do list. So where to start?

I've been in D.C. for over a month and I can honestly say I LOVE IT HERE. The District and surrounding cities are so much more than I expected them to be. It has been such a great change of pace compared to living in New York… I seriously don't want to go back. The only thing that is really missing here is the pup (it has been quite the adjustment not having him – so used to sleeping next to that oversized ball of fur that sleeping alone has actually been hard to do). I don't live right in DC which has actually been a blessing. I live on the outskirts in VA and I love it. I really don't know how anyone could be bored here. But before I get to that, let me give a little break down of what I have been up to in terms of my externship and PR Class.

Clerking for Federal Judge


What do I do? Research and writing, A LOT OF IT. My first month has only consisted of about five assignments, one was due last week the other is due on the 27th and the third doesn't really have a date. The first two are draft decisions for my Judge and the third is legal research on two issues for one of the attorneys and the remaining were just peer edits for another judge’s final decision. So far things have been going very well.

Do I like it? I love it. The assignments that I am working have been a bit overwhelming at times but it's really forcing me to improve my writing and research skills along with time management. I'm not going to lie I have been nervous because my summer internship did not have anything to do with legal research or writing. it was completely hands on within the real estate practice -- and I loved it (i might actually continue there in the spring). But I do wish there was a little more legal research and writing to help me prepare for this. I haven't had to do research or writing since the spring and I have definitely psyched myself out saying "I don't know where to start", "i don't know if I'm doing this right", "this is going to be horrible". But I have to remind myself that this is a LEARNING experience. The judge I am working for is already an outstanding mentor and I can learn so much from him. I just have to stay focused, motivated and prepared. The rest will fall into place.


Clerking for my Judge has come with so many great opportunities to really experience the judicial system in DC. My judge has asked me to attend oral arguments for both the Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia as well as The Supreme Court -- horrible right? The oral arguments for the Federal Court of Appeals was interesting to sit through considering it was dealing with actual cases versus the ones that our LCR professor created. The building was absolutely stunning. Coming in October I will attend oral arguments at the Supreme Court which I'll be sure to include a quick recap of at some point. Last week I had the chance to attend a welcome reception for some newly filled positions. It was a great chance to network with others. Next week I will be attending a two-day judicial conference which will be a great chance to network and listen to some great lecture series. I will also have the chance to attend at least one trial during my time here. Typically they are in Boston, Philly or even in the Syracuse area. As well as attend at least one settlement conference. 

PR Course 

What is PR? Professional Responsibility -- you must complete this course in order to graduate and it is supposed to help you prepare for the MPRE. The MPRE is an exam that you have to take in order to sit for the bar. Each state has a different passing score as well as different time periods for how long that score is good for. Be sure to look into the states you are interested in before hand so you know your bottom line score to aim for.

How do you attend while you are in DC? It is a virtual course that I "attend" twice a week. In order for me to do the DC externship you have to either of taken PR prior or you have to do it while you are there.  So far it has been okay, but in all honesty I don't really like the virtual aspect. I actually find having to be on a webcam extremely distracting. Now my classmates that are physically in the room cannot see me, but the 6 of us that are taking the course virtually can. It's super distracting because we are all in different locations and there are always different things going on in everyones background. I feel that I pay more attention to the screens of everyone else than my professor because I can see everyone else and no so much him. I wish it was just the professors screen and that's it. But thankfully he records our course so I have been going back and listening to the material each week to review what was going on in class to make sure I am not missing anything.


Seminars

On top of working and class we also have to attend seminars about once every two weeks or so. Each seminar has a guest speakers. So far the guest speakers have been great. The only thing that really gets me about these things is that there is a participation grade for the seminars. I hate participating in class – I’m an anxious person when it comes to speaking to in front of everyone in a classroom setting. I’m self-conscious about the answers I give. I just don't like to be wrong and not because I can’t deal with being wrong, because I can, its more so I get worried that peers will think I’m dumb. It sounds silly to think that way but I’ve witnessed it first hand and unfortunately, I’ve thought things about classmates answers before - we all have. It’s something I am working on but I find it hard to come up with on the spot questions and sometimes even answers. Other than that, the speakers have been great opportunities to learn about different areas of law. Plus there’s usually a reception after which again is a great chance to network.

Exploring D.C.

My roommates and I decided to move into our apartment a week before all the madness started and I'm so glad we did. It gave us the time to unpack, relax and get a feel for the city. One thing we did was a test run on the metro, we found where our placements are located and how long it would typically take to get there - highly suggest doing this if you are moving to a new city. But with all the down time we also had the chance to go and see the Monuments aka "The Mall" -- i loved every second of this. It was about 5 miles total and it was a nice day out so it made it all the more enjoyable. 






Some other places that I want to check out are:
     -   The White House
     -   Holocaust Museum
     -   African American Museum
     -   The Zoo

Any suggestions for happy hour or great places to eat be sure to let me know! 
3 comments on "D.C. -- I Never Want to Leave."
  1. Hi! I love reading this blog.. Thank you for the informative article and I found it Interesting!
    VTTLAW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much! I promise there is more to come, its just been a crazy semester here!

      Delete
  2. Actually I read it yesterday but I had some thoughts about it and today I wanted to read it again because it is very well written. cheap web hosting

    ReplyDelete