Saturday, August 20, 2016

The Orientation Break Down


So first and foremost, I apologize for being completely MIA for what seems like the last couple of weeks. A ton has been going on from completely Orange Edge to diving right on into Orientation. I know some bloggers like to break up Orientation and do a post for each day but when I started doing that it turned out to be a waste of a post because a lot of what occurred during orientation was informational and could be laid out in one post. So here it is:

Day One: Convocation Ceremony
Many want to know what you wear to Orientation - thankfully there was a dress code for the week which helped plan what I was wearing so that I wasn't underdressed. On Monday it was Business Professional so this is what I decided to wear, mind you I added a blazer and I'm glad that I did. It really brought it all together - apologies for the classic mirror selfie.

justifiablyblonde.blogspot.com
Welcome Class of 2019 to SU College of Law. This day was really just a welcome to the college of law kind of thing. When we got there at 11:30 we had the chance to get professional portraits taken... and of course, I don't like mine. I feel like I look like a deer in headlights. 

justifiablyblonde.blogspot.com
This whole process took forever though so a lot of the morning was spent hanging out with peers. Thankfully I got my photo taken right away so I wasn't sweating like a mad woman and then having to take yet another photo looking like a ran a marathon. Later on in the afternoon we had a convocation ceremony with an alum guest speaker which was basically a mini version of what graduation will be like. We have about 220 students in the class of 2019 which is one of the larger classes to attend SU in the last couple of years.

justifiablyblonde.blogspot.com
Alumni Network - Day Two:
The second day was all about interacting with the Alumni Network that we as SU students have available to us. The dress code was business casual so I wore a skirt and a tank with a jacket. I may have been a little over dressed but I would rather be overdressed than under.  I really enjoyed this because we got to talk with a local attorney who is part of one of the larger firms in our area. He gave great advice not only for law school but for life after law school. I really encourage taking advantage of the alumni networks at any school, they're great resources! 

Faculty Mentors & Campus Policies - Day Three:
So for the third day the dress code was lax. I decided on a pair of jeans and a t shirt since we were going to be spending most of our day in a the ceremonial court room.  As a 1L, you get assigned both a student mentor and a faculty mentor along with tutors. On the third day we met our Faculty Mentors, had brunch and went over some basic information and common questions for the 1L year. 

From there we went in and sat for a couple hours and discussed the academic handbook, school policies, drugs and alcohol within the legal profession, sexual harassment and abuse. It was a long afternoon of seminar after seminar of dense topics and information so by the end of the day I was ready to go. But we did have a cookout afterwards which was nice and refreshing while we got to walk through the student organization fair. As a 1L student org's aren't really a main focus, the focus should be on school. But I did sign up to get more info on a few of them for future reference. If anything the only one I would like to get involved with this year is the Sports & Entertainment Law Society so we will see where that goes.

Pro Bono - Day Four:
The final day of orientation was centered around giving back to the community. The morning was spent talking about pro bono within the legal professions and the opportunities to do so locally. After we boarded buses and went to a local farm to pick vegetables that went to local food banks and families in need. This was a great way for our class to do a community service project and get to know one another beyond the walls of the law school. 

After the community service project was done we had a couple of hours of down time and then later on that night we had the chance to go to a local baseball game which was another great opportunity to get to know people within our class.

The Orientation experience was a whole lot of info packed in just a few days, but it was a good experience and really made me more excited about this semester and the years to come! Fall semester, I'm ready for ya!
Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment