Monday, June 27, 2016

The Journey Is Never Completed On Your Own


My apologies for not posting in a while. I just got back from a much needed vacation and while on vacation I had a lot of time to reflect on this entire process and began thinking about how many people had helped me get to this exact point..

The morning I left, at 4:30 am, I woke up to get ready to head on over to our airport. One of my best friends recently had her baby and it has become a tradition for me to visit her in NC during the summer.. so off I went. As I rode down the highway with my dad we got on the topic of law school and what I had left to do before classes start. (don't you worry, I'll be getting to financial aide and all that good jazz later on). I did the typical annoyed eye-roll with the response "my end is done, I'm just waiting on what is next", he chuckled and said "I push you to get things done because you've worked too hard to fall behind. I may be annoying and on your case about it but its only because I love you". His words resonated with me and reminded me how much support I have received with this entire journey....

Up until now all of my post have been centered around my successes & failures with my law school journey. It would be completely inaccurate, and selfish, of me to say that this journey was taken completely alone... that is far from true. There are so many people that have pushed me, guided me, and supported me unconditionally to achieve all that I can just to reach the point of getting into law school. I'm lucky enough to be surrounded by such positive influences whom never fail to remind me of how hard I have worked just to get me to this point right here.

This post is what I'd like to call the "appreciation post", call me corny but corny deserves its spot light. In other words this is my a welcome to my blog friends, fam, etc. & thank you to just some of the patient souls who had to (and still do) deal with my stressful, sometimes impatient ass for the last year. You all never failed to remind me of the goal I set, and have no accomplished, for the year of 2016.

A great deal of support came from my family; dad, mom sister, grandmothers, aunts, uncles, cousins the list is just as long as the thanks yous that follow. There were definitely times were I was so drained, so stressed and so fed up with studying, applications, and endless waiting that they became my vent outlets (DON'T DO THIS. take it out on a pillow, a Netflix binge or idk a run?) Through all of the stress, arguments, tears, frustrations, smiles, laughs and so much more my family never failed me or my dreams. For that alone I cant thank them enough.

Bianca (my lovely lovely older sister) doesn't realize how much she has inspired me to further my education. She recently completed her masters and I am so unbelievably proud of her beyond all words. She was someone who enjoyed school but didn't really fall in love with it until she realized her passion for teaching. She took the initiative to further her degree by diving head on into a masters program, she worked her tail off.. got a 4.0 and graduated. Her graduate school journey pushed me to fight for mine, especially when I decided that I needed a year off (might I remind you, not everyone agreed with my decision to do this.. it actually made me work harder to prove doubters wrong). Most importantly though, her journey, dedication and passion to chase her dream, have been my guide. Now, its my turn to do the work, earn the degree and follow her footsteps in terms of furthering my education (and lets be honest, I chose law school so that I could out do her a little bit.... what else are little siblings for other than giving the golden child a run for their money?)

Friends, co-workers- All were never ending support systems and thankfully still are; whether it was proof reading resumes, personal statements, listening while I struggle between schools or finally making an option, they never failed to understand how important it all was to me and never faltered in standing by me even if they hadn't heard from me in weeks. 

So here is the moral of this little thank you post... even though you put in the work to study for good grades, took the LSAT, completed the many many parts to the application, paid the fees to submit those terrifying apps, and hopefully got in... you cant take all the credit. Regardless of who it was that supported you through it all, they deserve just as much credit as you do (and believe me you deserve some damn good credit for all the work thus far). Those same people whether it be your parents, grand parents, friend, significant other, co worker, boss, peer, professor, who ever really, those support systems will continue to be there throughout your next three years. DON'T LET GO OF THEM. Acknowledge them, thank them and, most importantly, lean on them because you're going to need them. So thank you to my entire support system and thank you to my readers as well for letting me share my journey. It may not be extravagant but its mine and I'm proud of it.

xoxo
Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment