Friday, July 1, 2016

The Entering Students Checklist

Justifiablyblonde.blogspot.com
I think it is safe to say that my law school "To Do List" feels as if it is never ending at this point. As soon as one list is completed, another one pops up for the next task. The LSAT List - done, then came the Law School Application List - Done, both led to the Acceptance to School List- done. Now I've moved onto yet another list.. The Entering Students Checklist. Thankfully my school (as do many schools) provided me with a list of all the things that needed to be completed before the fall term begins:

Pay your Deposit
Set up your Email & Online Portal
Financial Aide (This had its own To Do List as well)
Photo & Transcripts 
Housing (Living at home so that was an easy check off the list) 
Health Stuff 
Laptop Requirements, Parking Permit, Registration, Books 
ETC. ETC. ETC. 

Looking at the list in its entirety, I was definitely feeling a little overwhelmed at first but in order to tackle any of it I had to get the first deposit out of the way. (I had two due about a month apart from one another which were deducted from my total amount due for the fall) Once I did that I gained access to my email account and the school's online portal (The portal is just where I can access my school account). So right away I was able to start crossing things off on my list.

Side Note: Don't wait around until the last minute to submit your deposits (unless you seriously have to) I say this because sometimes it can take some time to process all the things you need to do so the earlier you submit things the better off you'll be. Also it has just makes the process easier in the sense that I can actually focus on enjoying my summer rather than be frantically getting things submitted to the school and out of the way. 

One thing that has worked out well for me was getting whatever I could get out of the way, done asap. (things like the deposit, email & online portal set up, final transcript, photo for ID). It has definitely made it easier to stay on top of everything and not feel like I am rushing to get it all done or stressed about what needs to get done. After I completed what I could, I had to wait for other things to become available for completion; things like the proof of health insurance forms, parking permits, registration forms,etc. etc. have been (and are still being) gradually released from my school rather than all at once.

Financial Aide has probably been the only thing that has truly stressed me out. (Make sure to complete FASFA on time to be considered for any available scholarships or Federal Grants... any little bit of financial help is better than none) I knew that I would have to get outside loans but what made it frustrating was that things had to be updated on my account in order to know how much the final amount owed is. It took a hot second for this due to the fact that I had to prove things like adequate health insurance so I didn't have to purchase it through the school (which alone is a pretty penny). Although even when it was all updated I was still completely confused (and feeling pretty stupid at this point)... I was fortunate enough to receive scholarship money and be approved for a Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan, but they weren't showing up on my updated account. I was really starting to freak out because I knew the amount there wasn't the amount I owed so I reached out to financial aid to figure it all out.

Side Note: When in doubt... ASK QUESTIONS. I can't even begin to tell you how many emails I have sent to my school about things that have seemed so commonsense to me but either turned out not to be or just needed to be clarified. Don't be afraid to reach out to them for help, that's what they are there for. If it wasn't for the support of the financial aid and admissions office alone I would be completely and utterly panicked/lost.

The school has been my leaning post throughout all of this (which has proved yet another reason why this was the place for me). I was fortunate enough that I didn't have to worry/understand the loan process or financial aid for undergrad. But Law School is 100% all on my own. I wanted to make sure that I understand everything before I started signing my life away.

Which Loans to Pick?

Well there are a bunch of options and honestly I just went with the same lender that my undergrad loans were from. It made it easier because they had all of my information, knew my credit history, and actually had decent fixed rates and deferment options. 

Side Note: YOU NEED TO CONSIDER THESE WHEN GETTING A LOAN. I chose the option where I don't start paying until December of the year I graduate - best option for me, you don't have to do this. There are options where you can pay the interest rates while in school, make full payments while in school, choose a 15 year payment plan, variable rate plans, etc etc. its all based on your personal situation 

So I completed my end for the loan application and was waiting to get a confirmation from my school. But my school actually advised me to do the Federal Plus Loan. But after comparing the two I chose not to do so because the fixed interest rate for my private loan was a bit lower then the one offered by the Plus Loan. Every little bit counts right? Thankfully, as of now the loan was approved and everything to do with financial aid is now complete. Dont be afraid to shop around for a bit when it comes to looking for a loan, if you have a specific place to borrow from in mind, check it out. Get the details, ask question. No question is a dumb one when it comes to borrowing money, especially for big commitments like school.

Health Form Freak Out

Alright so.... here's a fun little experience I had recently. So one of the things on the to do list was to get a health form completed.. grand. So I called my one doctor but unfortunately they couldn't do it because they could only fill out about half of the information on the forms. So I had to call my other doctor and told them I needed the form to be completed for school hoping that I wouldn't have to actually go in for anything. WRONG. First mishap was that my PCP (primary care provider) had left and the one I saw when I had a cold left so now I not only didn't have a PCP. AWESOME. && in order to do anything I needed to come in for a physical. WONDERFUL. Little side note.. when I think of physicals I think of shots and shots are a no bueno for this gal. So I take leave work early, drive my half freaking out self to the doctors office, check in and sit and wait. To my surprise I was called in early (this never happens), I went and got weighed - something that every female loveeeesssss to do - got my height - thank you for telling me that I was in fact 3 inches shorter than I actually am - and then moved to the exam room, white walls everywhere. Then came the nurse, who mind you was as sweet as can be but there was oneeeeee tinsy weanie little problem... they couldn't find my vaccination records, but they were going to keep looking and hopefully they'd turn up. I tell you what I just about passed out right then and there because all that was going through my mind was YOU HAVE TO GET SHOTS TODAY. YOU HAVE TO GET SHOTS TODAY. YOU HAVE TO GET SHOTS TODAY. and there was NO WAY IN HELL that this was going to happen. I'm pretty sure I turned sheet white... The nice nurse left and in walked my new PCP came in, (such a nice man) completed my physical and then left me there waiting to find out if they could find my records. So i waited. and waited and waited. THANKFULLLYYYY they did. But there was one unlucky gal who was in there before me and they could not find hers at all and she too needed them for school. I didnt dare ask if she had to get any shots because in my mind if I asked, my luck would have turned sour and I would have gotten one. Moral of the story, get shit done so you don't get screwed. or you may have to get shots.
Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment