Wednesday, April 27, 2016

So Long Undegrad, Hello ______

So here's a little about me; I graduated in 2015 with a Bachelors in English. I think completing a degree in English was by far the easiest, and best, decision that I could have made when it came to my academic career as an undergrad. Shun me for not having perfect grammar/punctuation at times... I'm only human and I can bet you it bothers me more than it will bother you. Anyways, for me, the English Major helped with so many different areas of the law school application process (in the sense that I learned how to create professional documents through writing, peer-review properly and professionally correspond with schools) and it helped with my LSAT exam (analytical reading and thinking, strategic writing and so on). The major goes beyond the application process too. From all those that I have talked to, and from what I've heard about law school in general, the English major helped preparing me for the lengthy readings and writing assignment that I will encounter.  But in the end, major in whatever it is that sets your heart on fire and something you know you can succeed in.



Side Note: One point I'd like to make is a question I've had once or twice about majors: I was under the false impression that I needed to major in something law related like poli sci, criminal justice or pre-law but that’s NOT the case at all. In fact after talking with a professor from English and another from Poli Sci, both who were attorneys before professors,  both agreed that it really doesn’t matter what you major in. Law schools like diversity, just don’t sit there and major in some completely random major like "Halloween Decorations & Meanings" (which was a major that someone actually created at my undergraduate school). I was an English major and Poli Sci minor and honestly I think the English major is really beneficial to a law student in the sense that the English major revolves around reading and writing... just like the first year of law school will. I know law students who majored in biochem, journalism, history, math; It's really up to you. Just make sure that whatever you major in you can keep your grades up! GPA is something that schools look at alongside the LSAT exam and the rest of your application – we'll get to that later though. 


So although I decided my freshman year that I was going to go to law school afterwards, I had a "waitttttt a minute" moment my sophomore year. I was an English major who was debating if law school was truly right for me or if I should switch over to the English EDU major and become a teacher. The fall semester I had two law related classes; one with a local Judge, the other with a local Public Defender. I found both courses to be extremely interesting but interesting wasn’t enough for me at this point, I needed something more to show me that this was the right path for me. 

I went and talked with one of my English Professors who happened to be a former attorney in corporate law prior to teaching. He suggested that I seek an internship. From there I went and discussed how i could do an internship for credit with my Political Science Professor. We discussed that while I wouldn’t be able to do too much (because I was not in law school or even a lawyer), just observing and doing small office tasks would give me a glimpse at what it'd be like. So I did just that. 


Side note: If you are interested in doing an internship for a semester, get all the information, requirements and approvals done in ADVANCED. DO NOT WAIT UNTIL THE LAST MINUTE. I waited until the fall of my Junior Year to reach out and got lucky with the one I landed. But I do wish I would have started my search the spring of sophomore year. 
Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment