Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Today I'm Going To Be A Lawyer


justifiablyblonde.blogspot.com
I was first introduced to the field of law when I was 8. Her name was Alexandra Cabot and I watched her practice law daily; sometimes for an hour or so after school, others for a weekend long marathon on ABC Family (now known as FreeForm.. Wth is with that btw). Anyways, yes Ms. Cabot is a fictional character on Law and Order SVU. She was the first female that I admired (other than my mom of course) in a position of strong leadership. She showed me the value of being the strong independent woman but she also sparked my interest with the field of law. For the longest time I was beyond embarrassed by the influence that a fictional character had over me but I learned to value her role in chasing my own dream. I actually chose to include her role in my personal statement by telling how she planted my "Dream Seed" and: 

This dream of law progressed as I completed some introductory level courses in high school. Senioryear I had an entire class centered around law and I fell completely in love with it. I wanted more, especially after having guest visits from our local DA and visiting the county jail. As Senior year progressed, the most common question of "what do you want to do when you're done with college" led to the nonchalant answer of "I'm going to be a lawyer" sliding its way out of my mouth.
I think many just assumed it was one of those phases that teens go through when they begin to juggle ideas of what they want to do when their an adult. I even think that some people half expected me to do something else. But there was something within, a flame that ignited and began to burn strongly as time when on.

It was until I completed my freshman year of College that it realllyyy set in that this WAS my next step. I had a few friends in high school that at one point had the dream to go to law school, but they found a different calling once they reached college. For me, each law related class that I took in undergrad left me craving more and more leading my to do an internship. From there the only thing standing in the way from me and that life long dream was the LSAT & applications. These two things alone though have consumed my life for the past year or so - we'll get to all that later.

I know that some people don’t decided to go to law school until their junior year of college or even when their 40.. And honestly I don’t have a concrete answer on what it is about law that has pulled me in. What I do know is that the law & legal studies intrigue me, attorneys inspire me and the profession all together excites me. That alone has been enough for me to pursue it 100%.
Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment